Hello and welcome to Physical Education class! I am Mary Ellen Dick, the Physical Education teacher at Hart. I have 26 years of educational experiences. My experiences have had me roaming through 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades as a classroom teacher. As the community began to grow, so did the choices at different teaching positions. When Hart Elementary opened in 2000, I dashed into the Physical Education Department, and have had a multitude of marvelous adventures!
On the personal side of my life, I am pleased to announce that I have been married for 28 years to Steve Dick. Our marraige started in our hometown, Wichita Falls, Texas. We have two talented, charming, athletic, young sons. Casey James, age 24, got married and is teaching at Byran Nelson High School in Trophy Club. Our younger son, Nathan Andrew, age 22, is at the University of Central Arkansas on a football schoolarship.
NOW******back to the ******MAIN EVENT******************
As a Physical Education teacher I am driven to provide a quality class that will help students develop the knowledge, attitudes, skills, behaviors, and confidence that will enhance the development of a healthy self-image as well as the ability to pursue intellectual, social, and emotional challenges. Providing a quality physical education program is a strong link in helping students to be acedemically motivated, alert, and successful. Characteristics that I strive to provide in my classes are:
- knowledge and skills for a lifetime of physical activity
- a class based on texas standards that define what students should know and be able to do
- keep students active for most of the class
- provide many different physical activity choices throughout the year
- an opportunity to experience cooperative, as well as competitive, games, and skill based knowledge
- promote physical activity outside of the school
- and teach self-management skills, such as goal setting and self-monitoring